Sunday, March 11, 2018

Trine 3: The Artifacts of Power - Initial Thoughts

About the Game (From the Steam Store Page)

Experience a fairytale world of breathtaking sceneries and face a myriad of physics-based puzzles, wonderful contraptions, dangerous foes and enchanting creatures.

Trine 3: The Artifacts of Power is a platforming game of action, puzzles and adventure, and the sequel to the award winning Trine and Trine 2. Reunite with the familiar heroes - Pontius the Knight, Amadeus the Wizard and Zoya the Thief in an all-new adventure, now for the first time in full 3D!

Playable in single-player or in co-up with up to three players, both locally or online.

Previous Playtime

6.8 hours

Expectations and Prior Experience

My friend Daniel and I played almost the entire game in co-op. We stopped at the very last level because the final boss was too frustrating to be much fun, but until then it was a charming and creative 3D puzzle platformer.

If I'm being completely honest, though, after playing Trine 2 and, subsequently, Trine, I have to say that Trine 3 is the weakest entry in the series. The move to 3D was handled reasonably well, but it resulted in less tightly-constructed puzzles and an overall shallower experience (no pun intended). It's still decent enough that I have no special fear of having to play it 3+ times in a row, but I know already that it's not going to be a high point for me.

So let's just get it out of the way quickly so I can move on to even more unforgivingly co-operative games to play by myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment