Friday, August 1, 2014

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - 6/20 hours

By and large, I've enjoyed the mods I added to the Elder Scrolls games, but I think, after having to replay the first few hours of the game due to mod incompatibility, I'm starting to see the downside - a period of adjustment where you work out the kinks is pretty much inevitable. The same thing happened in Oblivion, so I'm not really surprised that I faced the problem again.

I'll confess, I'm kind of lazy. I like games where I can just slot it in and play, which is probably why I came to PC gaming relatively late in life. Consoles pretty much fulfilled my all my needs. I only really started with PC games when I got a night job that gave me 4-6 hours of downtime per night that had to filled somehow (and I, apparently, decided that rather than improve my mind by reading the great works of the western literary canon, I would prefer to blast simulated monsters with simulated lightning bolts).

Yet I'm glad I chose this path, because the experience of playing modded Skyrim has so far been incredibly rewarding (even when counting all that time I wasted on a ruined save-slot). I feel connected to the world in a way that I never did with the console version. To be transported to another land, one of wizards and dragons and ancient prophecy - it's something I often dreamed about as a child, and it's kind of wonderful to see that dream brought to life.

Maybe my next blog will be about the western literary canon. I'll get to it just as soon as I run out of incredible games to play.

No comments:

Post a Comment