Wednesday, October 29, 2014

FEZ - 5/20 hours

I'm of two minds about this game. As long as I'm making progress and discovering new areas, I'm pretty happy, but it feels at times like that FEZ is gleefully opaque. Like, what the hell is this:


Obviously, it's a QR code - I'm not completely out of the loop. However, if you're like me, you do not have easy access to a QR reader (because, why would you), and thus this is just a big roadblock from straight out of nowhere. It was easy enough to look up online, so it's not a huge deal (it kind of stings my pride to look up hints this early, but then again, it's not the sort of thing that can actually be solved by the human brain, so I'd have had to use an outside computer program either way), but as a game mechanic, it is thoroughly unappealing. I kind of wonder what they were thinking.

Overall, I'm finding the game to be mostly fun, but mentally fatiguing. I like navigating the levels, but backtracking to find missing secrets is a pain in the ass. I also don't understand the treasure maps at all, and I have a feeling there are certain game mechanics I am not yet aware of, because the map is showing exits that are not all apparent.

That's the paradox of exploration games. Am I not finding anything because there is nothing to find, or because it is simply well-hidden? I've never really enjoyed that sort of uncertainty, but I do enjoy jumping around and rotating the levels, so there's more good than bad.

I don't know how much more of the game I have left, though I have 23 cubes and 4 anticubes, so I'm pretty close to getting through a big 32-cube door. I think that means I'm pretty close to the end of the game. After that, I'll go back and find all the secrets.

No comments:

Post a Comment