Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Hand of Fate - 2/20 hours

My plan to build an unstoppable combo deck is not likely to bear fruit. The decks you build for Hand of Fate don't appear to have any sort of synergy or destructive interactions. Rather, you have an equipment deck, which acts as a loot pool for your encounter rewards, and an encounter deck, which determines the sort of random mini-quests you run across on the way to the boss.

It's a little disappointing to me that it's not a strategy game, where you navigate the board by selecting cards from your hand, but it's an amusing little text-driven rpg with short, easily-digestible fight sequences that give it a unique and appealing energy, so I don't see much point in moaning about the game I thought it could have been.

I don't have a lot else to say about it so far. It doesn't have much of a story, due to the aforementioned random encounters, but you do have an "opponent" who narrates and comments about your actions in an amusing way. The voice acting of the character is really well done, and his interruptions are always welcome. The cards appear to be part of a mystical game within the fiction of the actual game, played for high stakes by people with occult knowledge, which is intriguing, but the specific details have not yet been revealed.

I'll be keeping my eyes open. Until then, Hand of Fate is a fun distraction. So far it's been pretty easy, and a little shallow, but I imagine as time goes on it will only get more intense.

No comments:

Post a Comment