Monday, September 14, 2015

Mount & Blade: Warband - 3/20 hours

I am loving this game so far, though I might have to start over with a new character. As you start Mount & Blade: Warband, you are thrust into a virtual medieval world, filled with peril and intrigue, where you slay bandits to win the favor of a noble lord, compete in jousting tournaments to gain prestige among the court, and buy and sell olives in order to earn a modest return on the money invested in a mercantile endeavor.

It's exactly the sort of thing that appeals to me, because I adore games where the character's motivations map to the player's motivations. Mount & Blade creates a world, and the gives you the keys to that world. I really do feel like I'm the dispossessed scion of an ancient noble house, out to make her way in a hostile foreign land where her only assets are her name and her skill with the blade.

Which is why I have to start over. Jondera on rpg.net pointed me towards a mod which adds over 1800 new items.  And that's the thing about immersion in games, it's addictive. If you give me a world with a certain depth, I am going to crave more. I want to burrow farther in, have more things to worry about, more options when confronted with a problem, and more things to do.

Unfortunately, the new mod is not compatible with my old save, so if it's a choice between continuity and gratuitous excess, well, the url for the blog isn't "fastidiousgamer," is it?

No comments:

Post a Comment