Thursday, March 16, 2017

Sins of a Solar Empire: Trinity - 5/20 hours

So, Breath of the Wild is a pretty great game. Not really related except that by an astonishing coincidence, I haven't really been in the mood to play Sins of a Solar Empire: Trinity lately. Mostly I've been too tired. Despite having plenty of time to play at work, it's hard to concentrate on a complex strategy game when operating on 4-5 hours of sleep (let's just agree not to speculate on my job performance).

That being said, I was able to get a couple of hours in, and I can feel myself improving, though I'm still far from being actually good. The latest obstacle is pirates. I'm not entirely sure why the game even lets me build scout ships if they're just going to get swarmed every time they enter a new system.

What I wound up doing was just exploring new systems with a full military fleet. It puts my core worlds at risk, but after the delay in initial startup, it's slightly more efficient.

I guess I wasn't prepared for the fact that pirate raids are a fundamental part of Sins of a Solar Empire: Trinity's gameplay. Every inhabitable planet in my current map had a pirate fleet around it and it took me more than hour to notice that my interstellar rivals were bribing those pirates to attack me.

Once I realized that, things started to turn around. So long as I was quick enough to bribe the pirates first, I could pick my battles with them, and exploring with my fleet got me those extra planets with a minimum of fuss.

Overall, the game is going well. I like managing logistics and trade routes, but keeping my empire defended still feels like a chore to me. I understand there's a diplomatic victory, but I have no clue how to go for it. In fact, victory of any sort seems a far-off fancy at this point. But I'm surviving, and for now, that's enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment