Friday, March 31, 2017

The Settlers 7: Paths to a Kingdom - Gold Edition - 10/20 hours

I thought for sure that I'd have finished the campaign by now, but damn if these last couple of missions haven't spiked in difficulty. One of them, I had to play three times. I wound up bumping the difficulty down to Easy just to get through. At this rate, I don't know if I'll even be able to finish the whole thing.

I've got to at least get to the betrayal though. Bors keeps getting shadier and shadier, and the enemies have finally started talking about their quest for freedom. Since I've now unlocked all the mechanics, defeated Lord Wolvering, and the next mission is called "A Father's Revenge." I am almost certain the next mission is when it all goes down. I don't anticipate being particularly delighted by the outcome, but I am relishing the opportunity to say, "I told you so."

I think, though, that if the difficulty keeps going up, I may have to tuck my tail between my legs and retreat to Skirmish mode. I really need a lot more practice in setting up a smooth supply and transportation chain, and I need to master the game's more general skills to account for the fact that the maps are both very particular about where things can be built and extremely unpredictable in their variations.

Halfway through, and it's looking like I'm going to like The Settlers 7. I'm a still a bit frantic from trying to keep up with the pace, but I suspect that will pass as I acquire more skill. And I think, now that I've gotten to the campaign missions where all the mechanics are active, there are probably no nasty late-game surprises left for me to discover, even if the campaign missions eventually start giving the AI so many extra resources that they are no longer fun to play.

No comments:

Post a Comment