Monday, May 29, 2017

Spacebase DF-9 - 2/20 hours

This game is exactly what I expected it to be, which is . . . good? Bad? Eh. . . It's going to take some time to figure out. The economy is dead simple and there's only one item of each type, so expansion is simply a matter of having enough of each thing to satisfy your entire population. There might be some twist coming up, but considering the game's truncated development, it's likely there isn't.

Which is fine. I am comfortable just building the biggest colony my map will support. I prefer to have complex production chains and a highly varied economy, but I can work with simple. The sheer pleasure of growth and expansion can be enough.

That said, there is an unofficial patch floating around that adds some new content, and I will probably install it sooner or later. I just want to hold off until I can a thorough feel for the base game as it stands.

What I need in the short-term is an agenda for the game, a goal I can fixate on to help make my building meaningful. Luckily, the game gives you a set of built-in "goals," which are a little like achievements, but not technically. Stuff like "have 50 settlers on your station" or "research all technologies." Those should keep me occupied for awhile, even if they aren't terribly sophisticated.


No comments:

Post a Comment