Saturday, November 4, 2017

Beyond Divinity - 15/20 hours

I am still in hell. Maybe this game takes place almost entirely in the afterlife? That's not a possibility I considered. The structure of the plot thus far led me to make certain assumptions that may not have been justified. It's just that the Death Knight told me we had to escape Samuel and then find his former mistress Isolde, and so I jumped to the conclusion that these would be separate and independent phases of the game.

It's still possible, I suppose. I have finally found the source of the Imp plague, and as soon as I grind enough levels to beat this improbably difficult boss, I may well have accomplished everything I need to do in hell. And, of course, if it really is a 60-hour game as advertised, then it could easily break down to 20 hours of escaping hell, 20 hours of searching for Isolde, and 20 hours of doing whatever Isolde wants you to do to earn her help.

Using a guide did help me out a bit. Although now that I'm writing out my thoughts about the game, it does strike me as strange that I didn't simply skip ahead to see when I would finally be back in the mortal world . . .

. . . And it's actually pretty unclear. The guide I'm using doesn't go a lot into the lore. It seems like I will be teleported away after a few more post-boss chores, but it doesn't say to where. Another district of hell, perhaps?

I've picked up a second wind, though. now that I'm making some kind of forward progress. I have a short-term goal that I'm invested in (getting powerful enough to take on the boss) and I'm reasonably certain I can complete it in the time allotted to me.  Once I get that done, I'll have to come up with some new thing to care about, but hopefully I'll be almost out of time by then.

This game has been a rollercoaster of emotions for me, but I'm in the final stretch. If I can stay focused and finish it in the next couple of days, I'll probably be all right.

No comments:

Post a Comment