Friday, April 27, 2018

Toribash - 20/20 hours

I'm not sure whether I got better at the game or not. I won a few multiplayer matches, lost a lot more, and never once did I feel like my "skill" made a difference either way. The object seemed to be to grab the opponent and fall over on top of them. There's using leverage and momentum to influence the direction of your fall, and that takes some familiarity with the way your joints move your character, but it never stopped feeling random to me.

Nonetheless, I was responding intentionally to my opponents' moves and I had a strategy I was pursuing, so I imagine with a few more dozen hours of practice it would actually be pretty satisfying.

I'm probably not going to do it, though. Toribash is capable of some amazing things and there was a refreshing lack of the usual free-to-play nonsense, but it has a very steep learning curve and it takes a lot of investment to get to the good stuff. There were points where I loved it and points where I couldn't stand to look at it, and the thought of starting over from square one makes me anxious and stressed out.

But don't mind my grousing. Toribash has a lot to recommend it. Seeing those puppets ragdoll around the battlefield, occasionally getting brutally dismembered was consistently hilarious. And if the learning curve is steep, the ceiling for mastery is high. If you're the sort of person who enjoys seeking mastery and want something goofy and strategically complex, then you could do a lot worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment