Thursday, April 30, 2015

Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons: Initial Thoughts

About the Game (From the Steam Store Page)

 Guide two brothers on an epic fairy tale journey from visionary Swedish film director, Josef Fares and top-tier developer Starbreeze Studios.

Control both brothers at once as you experience co-op play in single player mode, like never before.

Solve puzzles, explore the varied locations and fight boss battles, controlling one brother with each thumbstick.

A man, clinging to life. His two sons, desperate to cure their ailing father, are left with but one option. They must set out upon a journey to find and bring back the "Water of Life" as they come to rely on one another to survive. One must be strong where the other is weak, brave where the other is fearful, they must be... Brothers.

This is one journey you will never forget.

What Was I Thinking When I Bought This

I was thinking that it was 75% off, and that I could easily spare $3.75. This was the same day I heard someone (I forget who) describe it as an exceptionally beautiful game, so I figured "what the hell."

Previous Playtime

0 hours

Expectations and Prior Experience

Brothers has a high metacritic score, but is an indie platformer, so I expect it to be the sort of game that greatly appeals to critics - artistically ambitious and emotionally affecting with a unique visual style. However, most of the Steam reviewers have fewer than six hours with it, so I also expect it to be slight mechanically. With my platformer experience, and being "in the zone" after playing Never Alone, I imagine that I'll breeze through it.

Story-wise, I'm going to try and keep an open mind. All I know for sure is that it appealed aesthetically to at least one person on the internet, and the description in this post's opening section, and that's not nearly enough to make any kind of advanced judgement.

No comments:

Post a Comment