Saturday, April 18, 2015

Torchlight II - 2/20 hours

I think this game is going to be pretty easy to get through. It's got a simple point and click fighting interface and an addictive loot system that allows you to make complex decisions about how best to optimize your character. It's an effective formula for endless time-wasting.

Thus far, the story is virtually nonexistent. There's some rigmarole about an ultimate evil sorcerer-type that's rampaging about the land, but what it all boils down to is that I have to go to a place and kill monsters. I haven't needed much framing beyond that, but we'll see how I feel about it in a few hours.

I'm liking how bright and colorful the game is. It's a nice change of pace from the somewhat drab games I've been playing for the past couple of weeks. I'm not yet sold on the art design as a whole - there haven't been any really memorable locations or characters - but it's pleasant enough to look at that I have no real complaints.

My big concern, going forward, is that I'm not really used to playing this sort of game. Specifically, I'm having trouble managing my special abilities. Only one maps to my right mouse button, but I already have two and I'm only going to get more. I suppose I should map them to shortcut buttons, but I don't have the muscle memory to use those buttons effectively. That will probably change in time.

I think it's likely to be a lot of brainless fun, provided it doesn't suddenly spike in difficulty.

No comments:

Post a Comment