Thursday, December 10, 2015

X-COM: Enemy Unknown - 9/20 hours

I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up. I thought for sure this time I'd actually understand the plot of a video game. It seemed so simple - you're a secret quasi-government anti-alien agency, fighting a shadow war against aliens that are abducting humans for some nefarious purpose. Then the aliens attacked a major metropolitan area, complete with screaming people on the news, and I became totally confused. Why is X-COM secret, again? And why is The Council so sinister and mysterious?

Maybe I was mistaken about my organization being secret. I have been in negotiations with various private corporations to sell my scavenged alien parts, Which would be weird if nobody knew about me. I suppose corporations could be privy to the conspiracy, as is so often the case, but it's never made entirely clear.

Uncertainty about my role in the world aside, the game is going well. My squad is pretty powerful, though paradoxically, that has made the game somewhat more difficult. Because my people are too valuable to lose, any shortcoming is disastrous. I've taken to resetting my missions whenever one of my soldiers dies. This is probably against the spirit of the game, but I've grown too attached to my little guys and I can't stand to lose them.

I'm sure it's a weakness that will come to haunt me in the future, but for now, I'm just going to keep reloading and pretending I'm actually good at command.

No comments:

Post a Comment