Friday, July 29, 2016

Vertiginous Golf - 2/20 hours

So far, Vertiginous Golf is mostly unobjectionable. There were a couple of times when the camera angle put me right in the middle of an object and obscured my view of the hole, but other than that, it's pretty solid. I managed to catch on right away to what I was supposed to do and I never felt like the game was cheating me. Because it's a miniature golf game, some of the holes, in themselves, are bullshit, but they felt to me like fair bullshit, so I'm not going to count them as a mark against the game.

Actually, the only real complaint I have about Vertiginous Golf is that it's incredibly bland, which seems like a pretty hard thing to pull off in a game about whimsical steampunk contraptions. You hit a ball towards a hole. Sometimes there are obstacles in the way and you have to figure out how to go over, around, or through them, but in any event, if you've got the patience to keep hacking away, you're going to get past them eventually. There are no stakes and your only opponent is your own previous scores.

Now, that's enough to keep millions of people interested in real-world golf almost indefinitely, so I'm not really in a position to make an issue about it. I'm just not sure how to get myself to care.

No comments:

Post a Comment