Monday, October 17, 2016

Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast - 3/20 hours

It turns out my memories of this game are really vague. The first five minutes seemed familiar to me, but after that it veered off into areas that seemed wholly new. It's something that kept happening. I'd have a flash of recognition - the scramble over collapsing pipes in the mine level, Kyle Katarn's reticence about the Valley of the Jedi, the hangar with the Tie fighters where I got stuck - and then maybe an hour would pass by where it would all feel completely new.

It's making me question my memory. I am absolutely certain I've played this game before. The emotional turmoil that surrounded my initial purchase of the game is a very strong memory. I can distinctly remember passing the game on store shelves and thinking to myself "hey, I should buy this game to make up for the time Blockbuster screwed me." And yet the game itself has (apparently) made little impression on me.

I have to wonder how much of my experience with Jedi Outcast is confabulation. Maybe I'm thinking of another game with a similar title that I somehow got mixed up with this one. Maybe the recognition I'm feeling is nothing more than my mind latching onto a particular moment and projecting a feeling of familiarity onto it.

Or maybe it's just been a long time since I last played it. I have a test to figure it out. If Kyle regains his powers by going to some sort of forested temple and engaging in a timed platforming challenge, then I have for sure played this game before. If not, then I don't know what the hell I'm doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment