Sunday, October 16, 2016

Star Wars Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith - 20/20 hours

With seven hours left to play, I started the game over from the beginning and once again got to the final level (although, just like last time, I had to activate the invincibility cheat during the Dark Mara fight and then leave it on for the remainder of the game). It's nice being able to go through the levels without being confused about where to go, though it's kind of distressing to think that navigational confusion took up roughly 50% of my time on the first playthrough.

I wound up finishing my second game with about twenty minutes to spare. That gave me a chance to try "medium" difficulty, which quickly kicked my ass. More evidence for the supposition that I may, in fact, be terrible at shooters.

Overall, I'm glad to have played this game, though I'm finding the series as a whole to be pretty shallow. Which is fine, you know. Not everything has to have deeply layered symbolism or characters of subtle complexity. But I'm not sure if any of the Dark Forces games I've played thus far have any particular niche in my personal gaming environment. They're in a genre I don't particularly care for, they're burdened by certain unavoidable artifacts of their age (Mysteries of the Sith's map was basically unusable) and their story is not particularly memorable or interesting. I can't think of a single reason I'd ever want to play this game again.

I suppose that's just how things shake out, though. Not everyone can like everything, and I'm sure I have a gaming compliment out there who loves the heck out of this series but has had a lukewarm reaction the various Civilization games. It would be a funny world if we were all the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment