Sunday, October 29, 2017

Beyond Divinity - 2/20 hours

The thing about the first 2 hours of this game that is going to stick with me the longest is the Death Knight's voice. I'm a little guilty, because it feels like singling out a single performer's work for ridicule, but I can't just let it pass. There were some seriously questionable artistic choices that went into creating this character. I'm not sure I can adequately describe it. It's equally goofy and gruff, like the villain on a children's cartoon show, but it's also kind of bad. But that description doesn't really do it justice. I'll just let the video speak for itself:


Needless to say, I turned off the sound as soon as possible.

Other than that, I'd say that Beyond Divinity has gotten off to a stronger start than its predecessor. You wake up in hell (or, more precisely a prison dimension operated by a demon) and you and your Death Knight companion have to work together to escape. It's a nifty premise that hooked me right away. It's possible that it might overstay its welcome - two hours is already a long time to spend in an introductory dungeon - but for now, I'm fine with it.

Sadly, I am already predicting that I will end this game as prematurely as I did the original. If the first dungeon is anything to go by, Beyond Divinity is going to continue the series' pattern of taking its time to roll out the central plot. It's really all down to a race right now. Will the story or gameplay get me invested enough before the deadline that my desire to continue outweighs to move on?

1 comment: