Saturday, October 21, 2017

Divine Divinity - 5/20 hours

I did the thing where I play an rpg for two hours and then start over from scratch to test out a new character build. So I am only a little bit past where I was before. Down at the bottom of a dungeon, facing the undead hordes of a repentant necoromancer.

I'll admit, I was taken by surprise when the death-obsessed mage who engineered his own resurrection told me that he regretted his decisions and wanted to die. That, at least, was a novel twist on what had hitherto been a by-the-numbers fantasy plot.

The biggest change in my second go-round, though, is that I'm now playing on Easy difficulty. It's not that different, though I do notice that my healing potions tend to go a longer way, and that, in turn, lets me spend more time down in the dungeon. That's something that eases the stress involved in directionless exploration.

So far I'm having a good time. I wish there were more of a "hook," like Fallout's irradiated wasteland or Planescape: Torment's fantastic city at the center of the multiverse, but I can work with what I've got. I'm not sure I'll ever make a genuine connection with the world or its characters, but I can at least enjoy the mechanics of the game, hacking and slashing my way through dungeons and slowly developing my character into the ultimate killing machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment