Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Dust: An Elysian Tail - 6/20 hours

Six hours in and I've only found one new movement ability (out of at least 3 obstacle types that I've noticed). This is not a great track record. It means that I have to backtrack to areas I haven't seen in 4-5 hours, and will have to backtrack to areas I haven't seen in 6 hours or more. At some point, it strains the limits of my memory. I'll get the new powers and then I'll be forced to think "do I need to back to this area or to that area?" My plan right now is just to wait and get them all and then go back to the beginning and search every level one-by-one.

The combat in the game is decent, but not very challenging. I've managed to get through so far by thoughtless button-mashing, and I don't think that's going to change. There's a chance that there might be a difficulty spike at some point in the future, but so far the trend has been that the game's been getting easier as time goes on.

The story is pretty boiler-plate so far. The hero, Dust, woke up with amnesia and a magical talking sword, Ahrah. The sword explained to him that he could regain his memories by going on a quest to aid the land. Also, the sword's guardian, a flying cat creature called Fidget, decides to tag along as your fourth-wall breaking comic relief. Over the course of your adventures, you learn that pre-amnesia Dust was associated with some pretty shady characters and though it hasn't been revealed just yet, I'm willing to bet that this whole ordeal is actually meant to redeem him from his previous wicked deeds.

It may not be the most innovative thing in the world, but the presentation is top notch and I'm finding myself invested in he fate of the characters despite myself. I think the next fourteen hours are going to go just fine.

2 comments:

  1. I'd agree the combat is far too easy, overall. I found myself wishing I'd gone with a higher difficulty for my playthrough, by the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just finished it and I agree. I thought "normal" difficulty would be more challenging.

      Delete