Monday, January 8, 2018

Stronghold HD - 20/20 hours

I have five more of these to go. Oy.

It wasn't really that bad. It's just not my sort of thing. The best part of the game was commanding the troops, and I'd rather not command troops. Towards the end, I was just looking for things to do that would take a lot of time, but not much effort.

What I eventually settled on was playing individual Siege missions. The fascinating thing about these was that they purported to be based off of real historical castles (with a couple of King Arthur-inspired exceptions). I don't know how historically accurate they were, but I liked looking at the different designs and seeing what worked and what didn't.

The main drawback to the siege missions is that they were basically won or lost before I even started playing them. If a castle was well-designed, it stood up to the enemy. If it was poorly designed, it did not. Or, at least, I couldn't figure out any way to make my personal skill relevant to the proceedings. Moving my troops around inside the castle walls seemed to help, sometimes, but not so much that I felt like it actually changed the course of a battle.

Overall. I would say that Stronghold is fine, but I really shouldn't have bought the whole bundle. Looking at the screenshots for Stronghold Crusader, it looks more like an expansion pack than a sequel. My hope is that somewhere down the line the economic sim gets more rigorous, but taken as a group, it looks like I'm in for a lot of repetition.

But that's what I signed up for, so be prepared for these posts to get short, bitter, and surreal, because we are in for a long ride.

1 comment:

  1. "But that's what I signed up for, so be prepared for these posts to get short, bitter, and surreal, because we are in for a long ride."

    While I can't be happy about any stress caused to you, the prospect of bizarre posts about this series is intriguing. I feel like you could really push your creativity.

    ReplyDelete