Sunday, January 28, 2018

Stronghold 2 - 10/20 hours

I finished the shit mission. It turned out not to be that bad. The secret was to pause the game and just build a bunch of shit buildings (way more than you think you might need) right at the beginning of the scenario. Knock that shit out early, before it has the chance to build up.

I think I might like Stronghold 2 under other circumstances. Not the part about attacking and defending strongholds, obviously, but you can hold feasts and throw balls and build churches and the like. Making sure my peasants have a balanced diet and plenty of entertainment is diversion enough for me.

My issue here is that I can't escape the feeling of being trapped by the Stronghold series. I should have spread the games out over the course of a year. One game every 2 months. Then maybe, when I got these urges to do literally anything else, I could ignore them, because I'd know that I'd only have to hold out for another few hours. Now, though, I get demoralized when I think about the fact that even if I finish quickly, I'll have to start all over again in another couple of days.

A silly little medieval village simulator should probably not devolve into a test of endurance, especially not so quickly. And given the new pollution, crime, and honor systems, it's not really that similar to the 2D stronghold games, but it's just close enough that it seems like a purgatory that will never end.

It will end, though. Just 70 more hours of Stronghold to go. And I'll get three more breaks as well. I just have to take it one minute at a time. Retreat to free build and let time pass. If I can endure Sakura Spirit, I can endure anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment