Friday, December 19, 2014

Demigod - 2/20 hours

I'm still finding my feet with this game. My initial plan was to give each of the Demigods a test drive, see which one I liked best and then maybe try to take that one through a single-player tournament. However, that plan was thwarted by the game's basic structure. It is impossible to get a feel for any particular character after just a few minutes. Instead, you have to play with them long enough to level up and unlock their various abilities. Luckily that doesn't take too long, maybe an hour at most, but with ten different demigods, that does mean that my schedule for the next few hours is sewn up pretty tight.

The gameplay itself is kind of weird. It's like an RTS, but your base is pre-built and you only directly control one unit - your demigod. Your ordinary units automatically spawn and rush the enemy. The demigod is very powerful individually, but must contend with enemy demigods. Your goal is to destroy the central building of your enemy's base while defending your own. You do this by leveling up your demigod and using it as the sharp edge of an offensive.

I've played a game very much like this before, called League of Legends, and I'm given to understand that this type of game is actually a very popular genre. My career in the League was short-lived, though. However anxious I may get at letting my team down in online PvE co-op, those fears are multiplied significantly when I think I may be the weak link on a competitive team.

So, in a sense, Demigod may allow me to experience a MOBA without all the competitive stress. I can just take on the AI and explore the genre at my own pace.

I'd have still liked a story mode, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment