Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Warframe - 10/20 hours

I like co-op games in principle. One hand helping another. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts. The many can accomplish what the one can't do alone. And so on.

However, sometimes I feel like I may be more of a liability than an asset. I worry that I may be taking more than my share of the loot and the other players' attention, and not giving enough back to justify my presence.

If I'm being perfectly honest with myself, this is kind of a narcissistic fear. I've played games with newbies in the past, and I found shepherding people through the early game, sharing my knowledge, and exercising general altruism to be a rewarding experience. So, either I'm a uniquely generous soul (hint: I'm not) or I'm worrying too much about it.

I still wish I could bring more to the table, though. I'm embarrassingly inept at this game. I accidentally scrapped a valuable piece of equipment, and that has reduced my already low survivability to virtually nothing. I can grind for another one, but it'll be a long, slow climb.

It's something I've noticed about Warframe - it does a variety of things to throttle your progress. You only get four revives per day. If you fail a mission, you don't get to keep your pick-ups. Crafting takes an arbitrarily long time.

I understand why they do it. I can even support it. The game is more than fun enough that treading water is no great hardship. However, at times like these, it can be pretty annoying.

No comments:

Post a Comment