Saturday, May 16, 2015

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - 5/20 hours

It looks like I was wrong about the effects of my patch on Steam functionality. I can't access the overlay, but it still records how much time I've played. It's a little inconvenient when it comes to accessing guides mid-game, but I'm not quite so spoiled that alt-tabbing out of a game is especially onerous. Plus, it's not as if I especially need outside information. I've played this game before, so I'm finding it pretty easy to know where to go. My biggest problem is that my memories of Knights of the Old Republic are occasionally blurring together with my memories of the sequel. It's not a huge obstacle or anything, just intermittently confusing. I should probably just try and rely less on my memory and experience it more in the moment.

So far, Knights of the Old Republic has been . . . serviceable. I'm still stuck on the first planet, Taris, and I'm doing that rpg dance where you want to do a thing, but there are sorts of arbitrary obstacles between you and that thing, so you have to wander around looking to do favors for people in hopes that the reward for those favors will be a way around the obstacles. It's not too big a deal - this is not my first time in this rodeo - but it doesn't help that Taris is likely the blandest location of any Bioware rpg. The upper levels are this generically clean sci-fi city and the undercity is just a grey shithole. There aren't any fantastic vistas or fanciful science fiction conceits. If I recall, this gets a lot better after the game opens up, and I'm almost there, but in the meantime, blah.

Other than that, I'm kind of getting sick of Carth's shit. Ooh, you don't trust me, there's the door, asshole. What? You want to help me find Bastilla? Okay, then maybe you should get over yourself. However, I just got Mission, the Twi'leck and Zaalbar the wookie on my team, so I have a feeling Carth is going to spend a lot of time on the bench from here on out.

Next up is searching through the sewers for a secret entrance into the Black Vulkar's base, so I can find a part for a swoop bike so I can enter a race and win Bastilla's freedom. It's considerate of the game to get the sewer level out of the way so early, although I feel a little bad because I remember the end of the Taris storyline, and it's kind of a bummer to think that all these people I'm helping are not long for this world. Hopefully, there's some nuance I'm forgetting and I'll actually be able to save most of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment