Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - 2/20 hours

It's the things you love that have the power to disappoint you. If I wasn't looking forward to Knights of the Old Republic, then this:


would have been no big deal. Since the graphical glitches were intermittent, I could have simply endured them until my time was up and shook my head about what a poorly-made game it was. However, since I know from first-hand experience what Knights of the Old Republic can be, this twisted mockery of a familiar game is utterly unacceptable.

As a result, very little of my first two hours has been spent actually playing the game. Mostly, I've been scouring the internet, looking for fixes. None of the obvious ones worked. In the end, I had to download a total graphical overhaul mod and run it directly from the executable file. The good news is that it worked and the game looks fine now. The bad news is that I don't have access to the Steam overlay, so I have to estimate on how long I've played.

Right now, I'm past the tutorial. A ship orbiting above the planet Taris was attacked by the Sith who, under the command of Darth Malak, are taking over the galaxy. They're trying to capture Bastilla, a Jedi with a unique power to influence the morale of armies. Unfortunately, we were too late to rescue her, and were forced to abandon ship on an escape pod. When I last quit, I was on the surface of the planet with a guy named Carth Onasi, who doesn't have much of a personality, but is voiced by the same actor as Kaidan Alenko from Mass Effect, so I'm sure he'll turn out not to be bland at all.

I haven't had time to learn much about the planet Taris, having only just arrived, but I do know that its society was hugely racist even before the Sith occupation and hasn't gotten any better since. I now have to find Bastilla in the city's hidden underworld and try not to get killed by the Sith along the way. I'm looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment