Sunday, February 18, 2018

Trine - 7.5 hours (15/20 hours total)

Well, that's three games beaten in less than 15 hours. I guess I was right to bundle them together, even if they are only tenuously connected. Trine, especially, was a disappointment in this regard. I was really hoping I'd get at least 10 hours out of it. Shorter games do have their advantages, of course, but not so much for my particular situation.

Gripes about play time aside, Trine was pretty decent. The most surprising thing about the last half was that it turned out to really be the last half. The second 8 levels took almost the exact same amount of time as the first 8 levels. That's some good pacing. Although, it doesn't hurt that while the levels gradually get more dangerous (having hazards like lava and poison), they don't get noticeably more complicated.  I did appreciate the last level, though. It's framed as a boss battle, but it was really just more platforming, albeit with an implicit time limit in the form of rising lava.

The story was nothing special. You're tracking down the two counterparts to the Trine, which have accidentally merged and thus created the undead problem as a consequence of their spiritual unbalance. But the explanations for why you are in a particular place at a particular time are hard to follow. I'm not sure it matters, though. At any given moment, your agenda is "get through these spooky and trap-filled ruins" and the story reflects that well enough.

At the very end, the three characters are given epilogues and "live happily ever after," which doesn't mesh well with the sequels, but I guess it would be pretty arrogant for the first game in a series to end on a cliffhanger.

I'm not sure where I'll go from here. I still have about 50xp left to collect (which amounts to less than 1 level's worth of advancement), so I could go back and try for the 100%, but I doubt it will take me 5 hours to do. Maybe if I finish quickly, I'll go back and do another run through Hack 'n' Slash, or see if Morphoplis has any replay value whatsoever.

No comments:

Post a Comment