Saturday, February 10, 2018

Hell Yeah! - 20/20 hours

Hell Yeah! made the curious decision to have platforming challenges that relied on moving platforms and traps, but which also give less than a second worth of leeway. As a result, sometimes my missions would fail before they even started. Nonetheless, they were short, so I was able to finish all 27 in less than 2 and a half hours. I spent my remaining 40 minutes or so trying to finish all the DLC missions, but I stalled on the ones that required me to dodge moving, one-hit-kill sawblades. While getting 100% was not as impossible as I imagined, it was almost as unfun as I feared.

Overall, Hell Yeah! was an easy game to get 20 hours out of. It wasn't a great game to play, but it's clear that the designers had a lot of fun making the 101 different major monsters, and the "cute" level had a really catchy theme song.


(Because if I have to have stuck in my head, so do you!)

I think the main reason I was able to get through it so fast is because it was completely unlike Stronghold, and thus my mind was keyed to appreciate it more. It was good to stretch my platforming muscles again, even if my character did slide around too much and the controls sometimes got in the way with their unnecessary fiddliness.

It wasn't terrible, though. As much as I complained about the side missions, and the disappointing uselessness of the Island (made all the worse because I still think it was a neat idea), the core of the game was adequate. Which is to say that the mistakes it made were persistent, but small. Forcing you to do a QTE after defeating every major enemy could have worked if all 101 were unique. The imprecise jumping and aiming were only a major impediment in the most unforgiving circumstances - in the main game you usually had some margin for error.  The humor was just a little bit too juvenile.

Look, I got the game for free and it was worth every penny. Yes, I'd rather be playing Super Mario World, but you can say that about most things. Hell Yeah! falls into that category of games that I do not regret owning, but am perfectly content to never play again.

No comments:

Post a Comment