Thursday, May 24, 2018

Titan Quest Anniversary Edition - 12/20 hours

So, Titan Quest is kind of a dry game. Not dry enough for me to count it as a negative, but it certainly isn't one of those games I'm going to have memorable anecdotes about. . .

I guess I'll have to try, though.

So, the way you play Titan Quest is that almost everything is done with the mouse. If you want to go to a particular location, you click on it. If there's an enemy, you click on it to attack. You get various abilities that map to the numbers on keyboard. You press the number to activate the ability, but these are mostly interchangeable. There is some strategy to how they are used, but I find having too many abilities distracting, so I just bought the one that I mapped to the right mouse button.

I suppose I can blame some of the dryness on my tendency to favor passive abilities over a complicated active skill build. The issue I have is that all your active abilities draw from the same pool of resources and, cooldowns notwithstanding, there's not really much incentive to split my skill points among multiple abilities.

But mostly the game operates on such an abstract level that one enemy is very much like another and one area is very much like another. It's just a matter of click, click, clicking away until the text tells me I've run out of places to go.

I'm pretty sure I'll finish it by tomorrow, though. Repetition doesn't bother me, and finding new equipment and leveling up my character are still satisfying rewards. It's exactly the same sort of gameplay I enjoyed in Torchlight II and Path of Exile (and I do mean exactly), and if I were going to get bored with it, I'd have done so long ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment