Saturday, May 26, 2018

Titan Quest Anniversary Edition - 20/20 hours

All done with Titan Quest. I don't think it's a game that's going to linger in my memory. It was nice seeing the mythological creatures and having anachronistic historical cameos from figures like Leonidas and Imhotep, but the story is as shallow as shallow can be, and the art direction, while fine, had an unfortunate tendency towards the dun-colored that makes the environments blur together after awhile. I'd call it "serviceable." Nothing surprised, offended or inspired me. It was just a repetitive click-fest.

Though don't make the mistake of thinking this is a complaint. Sometimes all you want is a mindless hack and slash that you can play on autopilot. Randomized loot systems are almost always addictive, especially when combined with an rpg advancement system that balances out randomized rewards with steady growth. Titan Quest was no exception. I may not have been impressed with 90% of the items I picked up, but it was still pretty thrilling to get something powerful and new.

I may have taken a bit longer than expected, thanks to the instability of my personal life, but at no point did I feel like playing this game was a chore. I probably won't finish the main campaign, though. It was a nice change of pace going from Greek to Egyptian mythology, but it's not enough to make up for Titan Quest's sprawling maps, interchangeable enemies, and conservative character classes. I just can't foresee myself ever playing this game while Path of Exile still exists.

That said, I had fun. Overall, it was a fine game to be my second-to-last.

No comments:

Post a Comment